Monday, March 7, 2016

Do You Want Me to Write My Books? Donate or Tell a Publisher

So here are the chronicles of my Kenya Trip.

Sojourn in Kenya: Acorn Meets Tree
Sojourn in Kenya: Surveying the Ancestral Lands
Sojourn in Kenya: Home Again

And here are links to hundreds of photos. There are more to be added.

To be sure, one week is far too short a time to get to know one's previously separated family, and get a feel on a country. I don't even speak the indigenous languages.

I'd like to make another trip before the end of the year or at the beginning of 2017 and stay for a month. Now that I have a passport, and have an inkling of how to get into the country, function there, and get out, things will go more smoothly. Hopefully.

Oh. And here are a few more gifts from the family, from my sister Lucy Adhiambo and my cousin, OlgaAnyango, respectively.
Luo Wear
Maasai Shuka

Side note: we are not Maasai.

My niece, Jeniffer (spelling correct), gave me this beautiful and spacious handbag set. I carry a lot of stuff and I can do it in style as well as in order now.



I thought about post a photo of myself wearing traditional Luo dress--and head gear--just to start some outrage similar to that surrounding the photo of President Obama wearing traditional Somali tribal dress, but we didn't get around to it. I'm open to suggestions on how to wear the Maasai Shuka.

So, do you think there's a book in this? Since the Obama presidency is winding down, I don't think that amateur anthropologists are interested in making up stuff about Kenya and the Luo tribe anymore. If I write a book about this, I'd rather have it in this political climate rather than that which existed eight years ago. Such a book--published next year or thereabouts--would sell or fall on its merits, rather than on sensationalism and fear.

So I have three books to finish: this one (possibly), the novel Arlen's Harem, and the Baldilocks Chronicles--consisting of the best from my old blog. I want to publish them all independently and, if this is worth something to you, dear reader, please hit the 'Donate' button below or on the sidebar.

Also, in a half an hour (9:05 PM ET), I'll be on the Dave Perkins Show talking about my trip. Give it a listen.

UPDATE: Welcome Daily Pundit readers!

Don't forget: every Tuesday and Saturday, I blog at the award-winning DaTechGuyBlog. Tuesday's post: Sojourn in Kenya: Home Again.

Please contribute to Juliette’s Projects: A Roof Over My Head, my books, this blog, and my Internet--to keep them going and to the COFFEE fund to keep me going!


No comments: