Friday, December 4, 2015

Backfire

I don’t think this will garner much sympathy.
Arsalan Iftikhar, a human rights lawyer who is working on a book on Islamophobia in the United States, said that headline was evidence of how people jump to conclusions about a suspect in a crime who is Muslim. 
“When a Muslim American commits a murder, their religion is brought front and center,” he said. “With anyone else, [it’s] a crazy, kooky loner.” 
Many Muslims said fear of Islam is being fueled by the heated rhetoric of Republican presidential candidates, particularly businessman Donald Trump, who has called for surveillance of some mosques and requiring Muslims to register with the government.
Islam has a creed requiring its adherents to terrorize nonbelievers—instill fear in them. It’s possible that these attempts are backfiring, so to speak, at least among Americans and a few others. Donald Trump’s suggestion is a tactic; the mere speaking of it is a method of turning tables, instilling fear, in turn.

And, even before San Bernardino, many saw Black Friday as the opportunity to take advantage of deals on ammo and weapons.

The emotion most provoked by San Bernardino is anger, and, while I'm still furious--an emotion in me which has simmered since 9/11/2001--I think that emotionalism is more of a hindrance than an assist.

More in a bit.

FUNDRAISER UPDATE: The goal is $1500 in sales and donations by December 15. As of today at 8:30 AM PT, there have been eight donations totaling $290.00 and one sale totaling $10.99, for a grand total of $300.99. Thank you!

Please contribute to Juliette’s Projects: Kenya Trip, A Roof Over My Head, my Storage Facility, my new novel, this blog, and my Internet--to keep them going and to the COFFEE fund to keep me going!


No comments: