Sunday, December 12, 2021

Missionary


Though I want to move out of Los Angeles, I’m still staying in California. My desire is to move closer to my church. It’s not in LA. 

A friend lambasted Christians who are moving out of this state, pointing to the presumably large amount of its inhabitants that are in need of the Gospel. When I agreed with him, another participant in the conversation laughed at me and listed some of the various bad things about this state, as if I didn’t know about them already. Basically, the dude California-splained me. 

Back in 2014, I had a choice. After I lost my house I could have moved to Albuquerque where my parents live. Had I made that choice it's likely that I would have had a place to live and a job before I even got there. But I loved my church. my pastor, and my fellow congregants and I didn't want to leave them. So, I asked God what to do. 

The next day when I went to church my pastor said: “I know it's getting difficult to live here in California, but I need you to stay here and help me build the church.” 

So, I had my answer. I kept on talking to God. 

“You know I'm going to be homeless right? OK. But I have some requests of you, Lord. If I have to be homeless, can you make it so that I don't have to live on the street, that I have a clean, safe place to live and that I will have food to eat?” 

 And God made that happen. For nine months of 2015, I lived in housing for the homeless, courtesy of the VA. It wasn't paradise to be sure; I got to see some things that I hope I never see again. 

But I look around my city now in 2021 and realize how blessed I was and am. I did what the Lord wanted me to do and he's blessed me for it -- not just once, but many, many times. 

If my pastor decides to uproot the church from California and move to a new state, I will go. Seems to me, though, that we and every other church preaching the Gospel in California are right where we are supposed to be. 

Are we missionaries? I suppose we are. Who would have thought that American Christians would have to reach out to the unsaved in our own country? So, laugh all you want, but if you are more inclined to pray for me, I appreciate it.



No comments: