|From: ABC News|
See Fundraising update at bottom.
We’re now getting a partial view of who Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and his wife Tashfeen Malik, 27 were. Farook was, like me, Chicago-born, while Malik was a naturalized American citizen, born in Pakistan.
The two seemed to present a portrait of the Melting Pot and its boundless, boundary-less opportunity for any person regardless of race, color, gender or religion. Just like countless other American couples, he was a young professional--an environmental specialist employed by the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, and she appeared to be a stay-at-home mother, possibly educated as a pharmacist. They left their six-month-old daughter with Farook’s mother before setting out on their mission.
Somewhere in between their outward normalcy and their apparently well-planned mass murder of Christmas party guests at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino lie the true personalities and ideology of Farook and Malik.
Here are a few things we know about them.
• Federal officials believe that Farook and Malik met two years ago when the former traveled to Saudi Arabia to make Hajj.
• A separate report reveals that Farook traveled to the country again this year and that the nuptials happened upon his return.
• Malik came to America via a K-1 visa. She
• According to Farook’s estranged father, he was "very religious. He would go to work, come back, go to pray, come back. He's Muslim."
• A man who worked close to the couple’s home witnessed “a half dozen Middle Eastern men” in the area, but said nothing about it to authorities, being loath to profile them.
• Among other firearms, they used AR-15 rifles, which are illegal to own in California.
What appears to have been inserted into Farook’s life is a closer adherence to his faith. We see the outcome.
There are millions of Muslims in America—both born and converted—who are law-abiding and peace-loving. Perhaps they remain this way in spite of their religion—or, perhaps, because their numbers do not bode well for a victory against the most egregious representative of the well-armed Dar el Harb.
Which bids this question: has President Obama been trying to even the odds?
We will soon find out. Arguably, we have already.
UPDATE: Normal. Very nice-looking, actually. Happy. Makes one believe in spiritual possession. (ht: Jeannie DeAngelis)
UPDATE: The woman in this photo is not Tashfeen Malik. See abave.
FUNDRAISER UPDATE: The goal is $1500 in sales and donations by December 15. As of today at 2:00 PM PT, there have been six donations totaling $260.00 and one sale totaling $10.99, for a grand total of $270.99. Thank you!
Please contribute to Juliette’s Projects: Kenya Trip, A Roof Over My Head, my Storage Facility, my new novel, this blog, and my Internet--to keep them going and to the COFFEE fund to keep me going!